Thursday, April 10, 2008

Oprah

So today I actually went to work out. I was really glad I went because I have not been able to nor really wanted to in a while. So while I was on the elliptical and “attempting” to study for weather and climate, one of the televisions lined up across the front caught my attention. Oprah was on and she was talking about a dad and son and some problems they have had to face together. Well I love Oprah anyways so I started to watch it. Well it ends up that the boy had first gotten drunk at the age of 11 and then began doing serious drugs soon after. The dad first found marijuana in the child’s backpack for the first time at the age of 12. I think that this is absolutely insane! Children should not be drinking nor doing drugs at such a young age. I think that parents really need to start stepping up and getting more involved in their child’s life because children are starting these substances at younger ages each year. The dad was also saying how one time he smoked with his son to try to “connect” with him. If the father hated it so much and did not want his son doing it then why would he smoke it? I think this just tells the boy that it is ok. I really believe that we need to step up to these young children or else it will continue to get worse.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My boyfriend has this book that is a autobiography of the singer from Red Hot Chili Peppers. Inside the book they had pictures from his childhood and one of the pictures was a picture of him when he was like 10 (or younger) and he was smoking a joint. Isn't that crazy?

emilyanne said...

that's so sad. Some people just don't know how to be a parent. Too many parents try to be their kids friends instead of their parent. I didn't always like the rules my parents had but now that i'm older i'm glad they raised me that way because i'm not an idiot.