Friday, April 4, 2008

Memphis Neighborhoods

I was reading over the Smart City Memphis blog and came across a blog on neighborhoods in the Memphis area. They were talking about how so many of the neighborhoods are “hanging by a thread.” Then they mentioned how the mayor is holding the scissors trying to decide whether to cut them off or not. Before reading this blog I had never really thought about it like this. I know for me, I overlook these neighborhoods most of the time and it is not because I do not care but more because I do not live there nor did I grow up there. Although sometimes we overlook these neighborhoods and people, they are humans too. The city’s government is talking about shutting down some of the community centers and libraries in these neighborhoods. This would definitely be “cutting their threads.” Although this would save the government money, it would crush neighborhoods and families. I understand that putting a lot of money into a community that is steadily falling seems like a waste but these community centers and libraries hold these people together. Many of them have barely anything and look forward to the things they do have. I also do not think that this will better the city in any way. This would only give these unfortunate people even less of an opportunity to better themselves.

No comments: